Friday, February 17, 2006

All done!

I know this may seem like a teeny and easy project for many of you, but this was something new for me (I'm pretty much a beginner knitter). It's the London Beanie posted on Headhuggers.com. I made it for my DH, Gus. I did this hat up almost two times. The first time around, I got to the last colour change, put the hat on Gus' head and realized that the bottom edge was waaay too tight (I cast on too tight). So, I frogged the whole thing & started again with a larger needle and then changed to the correct size needles after around 3 rounds. With this pattern, I learned:

1) knitting in the round, using a circ
2) using 2 circs for the smaller diameter as I got near the top
3) changing colours in knitting, although I have to learn to avoid colour jogs when knitting in the round
4) long-tail cast on, one hand only (I used to use the thumb method which requires two hands....I've nixed doing that again as I seem to cast on too tightly this way).

Another accomplishment for me is that I learned/trained myself how to knit without lifting my hand from the right needle to throw the yarn. I've learned how to knit in one fluid motion with keeping my thumb on the needle. It certainly made doing the ribbing a whole lot easier and I was able to zip through the stockinette stitch all the way up in what seemed to me like a flash!

Now I've got a request for one for my BIL. No problem, but after I finish my project for the Crochet Olympics. :-)


Read my blog at: Midnight Crocheter

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim Werker said...

Congratulations, Maggie!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Norah said...

Wow, great job!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Vera said...

Good job, and you learned some new things which is really cool.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home