Friday, February 03, 2006

Time for a game plan, Team

Ok, kids, Team Huddle. That's right. Get in close. It's time for strategy, and I need your input. I need to select a project.

Though I'm a relatively novice knitter, my main challenge at the moment is time, working full-time and studying for my Masters. So, a small project. I'm also in textbook-repayment mode, so the rational part of me says, "Work out of your yarn stash." Ms. Rational also advocates making a gift for one of my several pregnant friends. (There's apparently something in the Manhattan water. Who knew?)

Ms. Yarn Lover says, "Make something for yourself, sweetie. Something sexy. With expensive new yarn."

So, dear team, I need your input.

Project Idea #1:



A free pattern on KnitPicks.com,
I've had my eye on this one for a while. I have a skein & a half of the recommended yarn (after an ill-fated crochet sock experiment - note "sock," singular), so I'm a little concerned I'd run short, but I think I'll be OK for the smallest size.

Project Idea #2:



So cute, and I have been feeling clothes-deprived. This project is heavily contingent on my long-overdue issue of Interweave Knits arriving. It must have gotten lost in the mail, and they're kindly sending me another -- but told me it could take up to 20 days. Hmm. I've never done cables, though, so this would be a huge challenge.... and I honestly don't think I could get it done this month! But adorable, yes?

Your thoughts, dear ones?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim Werker said...

Ohhh, I vote for #2 all the way. First, in a nod to Ms. Rational, it won't cost a fortune 'cause it's just a tube top (is that right?). Also, tackling cables in a tube top would be a great challenge that's not overwhelming. Also, committing to finish such an awesome knit for yourself in only 16 days means you won't be distracted by wanting to knit for yourself when all those baby sweater patterns are staring at you.

Also, I'm doing my first cables this Olympics, so I think it would be fun to go it together.

Maybe you should make it a contingency -- if you get your copy of Knits in time to do a swatch to get the hang of cables, make #2. If not, make #1 (and definitely save #2 for later!).

Ok. It's late, and I'm being pushy. :) G'night!

11:31 PM  
Blogger Vera said...

While I lov the baby sweater, I think you should #2. Do something for yourself.

You'll be shocked by how easy cables are to make.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh, you guys are so persuasive! Kim, I think you've perfectly articulated what my unconscious plan was all along. We'll see when the magazine comes in.

Also, if I do the baby sweater, I'm upgrading to more of a challenge (and, of course, yarn buy) from the Yarn Girls' book.

4:54 AM  
Blogger Norah said...

Definitely #2!!

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home